Saint Sophia Cathedral
The Cathedral of the Holy Wisdom of God in Harbin, China. Built in 1907 and expanded from 1923-32, it was closed during the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution periods, and turned into a museum in 1997.
45°46′05″N 126°37′17″E / 45.7680944544°N 126.621522232°E / 45.7680944544; 126.621522232Coordinates: 45°46′05″N 126°37′17″E / 45.7680944544°N 126.621522232°E / 45.7680944544; 126.621522232
Ecclesiastical or organizational status
This article contains Chinese text. Without proper rendering support, you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of Chinese characters.
The Cathedral of the Holy Wisdom of God or Saint Sophia Cathedral in Harbin (Chinese: 聖索菲亞教堂, pinyin: Shèng Suǒfēiyà Jiàotáng, Russian: Софийский собор в Харбине) is a former Russian Orthodox church located in the central district of Daoli, Harbin City, Heilongjiang Province, China.
1.3 Restoration of the Cathedral (Old Harbin Nostalgia)
3 See also
5 Sources and further reading
6 External links
St. Sophia Orthodox Cathedral was built in 1907 after the completion of the Trans-Siberian Railway in 1903, which connected Vladivostok to northeast China. The Russian No.4 Army Division arrived in this region just after Russia’s loss to the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese War (1904–1905). St. Sophia Church was built and completed of timber in March, 1907 as part of a plan to reconsolidate the confidence of the army by building an imposing spiritual symbol.
In 1921, Harbin had a population of 300,000, including 100,000 Russians. The church was expanded and renovated from September 23, 1923, when a ceremony was held to celebrate the laying of the cornerstone, to its completion on November 25, 1932, after nine years. The present-day St. Sophia Church was hailed as a monumental work of art and the largest Orthodox church in the Far East.
According to Harbin municipal religious and Daoli district archives, Fr. Fotiy Huo Desheng was the ninth rector of St. Sophia Church of Harbin.